Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

What is the difference with claiming single and 0 vs claiming married and 1 on your paychecks?

Asked by: samserio 5153 views YA Discussion

I have been married for 3 years and never changed my filing status on my paycheck. I am down as single and claiming 0. I want to change it to married and 1. Does anyone know the difference in the taxes taken out in the paycheck. I gross about $ 550 / week.

When we do our taxes we file married filing jointly and get a decent amount back, we are trying to even it out a bit.

How others found here:

  • married 0 vs single 0
  • single 0 vs married 0
  • claiming married vs single

5 Answers

  1. Ash Mo on May 07, 2012 Reply

    If you claim 0, they take more money out of ur paycheck every week. My h&r rep told me this, and I like it because it usually give a larger tax return… Its like a little savings account. Claiming “1”, I think they would take less money out of your paycheck, though. Hope this helped

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. the kid on May 07, 2012 Reply

    We can’t predict, but if I had to guess, $ 25-$ 40 a check.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. tro on May 07, 2012 Reply

    single and 0 withholds the maximum that can be withheld
    married, 1 would definitely be less income tax
    you apparently have had some nice refunds

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Judy on May 07, 2012 Reply

    The difference would be around $ 36 a week less taken out.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Bobbie on May 07, 2012 Reply

    And yes the difference could end up being a very disappointed one after the end of the tax year during the 2013 tax filing season when and if you would end up not having the decent amount back and the possibility of owing some amount at that time during the 2013 tax filing season for the 2012 tax year.
    Because you made the choice to have a smaller amount withheld as your advance estimated tax payment amounts from your gross wages earnings during the tax year.
    Here you go you can try and do your own estimated tax calculations at this time in your life for this purpose since you are the only one that would know all of the needed necessary information at this time.
    http://www.irs.gov website and use the search box for 2012 Form 1040-ES (OTC)
    Estimated Tax for Individuals


    Copy and paste the below enclosed website address into your browser address bar for this purpose.


    Enter your filing status, income, deductions and credits and we will estimate your total taxes for 2012. Based on your projected withholdings for the year, we can also estimate your tax refund or amount you may owe the IRS next April 2012.
    In 2011, Federal income tax rates were scheduled to increase to pre-2001 levels, but the “Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010″ left the existing tax brackets in place through 2012.
    You probably can find an estimated tax calculator for your state income taxes by going to your state income tax department website and use the search box for estimated tax calculator at that time in your life.
    I would hope that you do find the above enclosed information useful for your situation and good luck to you with this matter. 05/06/2012

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply