Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

What if you owe taxes from last year….?

Asked by: tmoran 1050 views YA Discussion

OK so here is the deal! Last year my exhusband and I filed our taxes together bc we were still married. When we filed we thought we had all the w-2s and had forgot that he worked for a company for 2 weeks in 2010. So we had to file an ammendment, we had already received our refund so we owed I think $ 500. We got a divorce shortly after and I was told he had paid that off. I received a letter this year saying we now owed $ 1600 bc of intrest. I filed my taxes and since I focused on school and didnt work all that much Im only getting back $ 1800- I did my taxes with H&R Block and and am told that my refund is supposed to be here in 3 days. I have not received any notice from the IRS or from H&R Block saying that money will be coming out of my refund and when I check the “Wheres my refund” page it says my refund is scheduled to be here on time- does that mean they will not be taking from my refund? Also if they do take from my refund will they take all of it or do half out of mine half out of his? He has not filed for this year yet.

3 Answers

  1. badspeller on Mar 26, 2012 Reply

    keep you mouth shot if they do not know is ok if they know you will pay plust a fine 100.00 d

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Judy on Mar 26, 2012 Reply

    WMR gives estimated dates if there are no offsets. But if you owe from last year, no there will be a delay while they take the money out of your refund for what you owe.

    And they won’t take half from each of you, they’ll take all of it from whoever files first

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. the kid on Mar 26, 2012 Reply

    they are taking it. the $ 200 left over is what you will get.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply