Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Tax Question – HSH Income From Multiple Employers, Each Less Than $1,700?

Asked by: livingeditor 3938 views YA Discussion

I worked as a household employee last year, earning over $ 10,000. I have no w-2 forms as my six employers paid me under $ 1,700. I took direction from each employer, so Schedule C or SE is not applicable. How and where would I list the earned income? Do I submit w-2’s providing the names of my employers and the amounts earned, and enter the total on line 7 of my 1040 as HSH? I know the e-files are getting audited like crazy (especially C & SE), and I really want to avoid delaying my refund. I have looked all over for the answer and found none. Please don’t guess an answer. I need a response from someone who would put their name on the return. Thanks

How others found here:

  • hsh income
  • hsh income definition
  • irs hsh income

3 Answers

  1. Bash Limpbutt's Oozing Cyst© on May 08, 2012 Reply

    You can’t submit a W-2 that you did not receive. You show the total amount on Form 1040, line 7 and write “HSH” on dotted line. next to line 7. You should probalby attach a simple statement showing the payers and how much you received from each one.

    You probably will have to file a paper return by mail. Most consumer software can’t handle this situation properly.

    Unless you are claiming a refundable credit that is earned income based, such as the EIC, an audit would be unlikely with only $ 10k of income. If you are claiming the EIC, be prepared to prove the income that you received.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Bobbie on May 08, 2012 Reply

    And what and how are you going to do your 2012 income tax return during the 2013 tax filing season NEXT year for this same situation that you are now in at this time in your life?
    Schedule C and the Schedule SE along with the 1040 FIT return to correctly fill out and complete your 1040 income tax return for your business operation.
    Be sure that you do have very good detailed written records and a copy of the worksheet that you used to determine the amount of support that you and others paid for this purpose available in case the IRS should decide that they would want you to verify some of the information that you entered on your 1040 income tax return and printed a copy for your records and signed the other copy to send to the IRS for processing at that time in your life.
    Use the search box at the http://www.irs.gov website for What is Small Business Filing Season Central?
    Small Business Filing Season Central is your one-stop assistance center for filing your business returns.


    Business Expenses
    Business expenses are the cost of carrying on a trade or business. These expenses are usually deductible if the business is operated to make a profit.


    What Can I Deduct?
    Business Use of Your Home
    Refer to Home Office Deduction and Publication 587, Business Use of Your Home, for more information.
    Business Use of Your Car
    Refer to Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses. For a list of current and prior year mileage rates see the Standard Mileage Rates.
    Other Types of Business Expenses
    This list is not all inclusive of the types of business expenses that you can deduct. For additional information, refer to Publication 535, Business Expenses.
    References/Related Topics
    Page Last Reviewed or Updated: February 21, 2012

    Filing and Paying Your Business Taxes


    The form of business you operate determines what taxes you must pay and how you pay them.
    The federal income tax is a pay-as-you-go tax. You must pay the tax as you earn or receive income during the year. An employee usually has income tax withheld from his or her pay.
    For additional information refer to Publication 583, Starting a Business and Keeping Records.
    Estimated tax
    Self-Employment Tax
    Self-employment tax (SE tax) is a social security and Medicare tax primarily for individuals who work for themselves. Your payments of SE tax contribute to your coverage under the social security system. Social security coverage provides you with retirement benefits, disability benefits, survivor benefits, and hospital insurance (Medicare) benefits.
    Generally, you must pay SE tax and file Schedule SE (Form 1040) if either of the following applies.
    •If your net earnings from self-employment were $ 400 or more.
    For additional information, refer to Self-Employment Tax.


    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 05/07/2012

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. tro on May 08, 2012 Reply

    if they paid you $ 1700 or less they are not r’qrd to issue you a W-2 and all your household income is Sch C and SE
    you need to go ahead and file your C and SE with your 1040
    if you are anticipating a refund unless you prepaid during the year on 1040ES there is likely nothing to refund, except possibly some EIC
    you might submit an SS8 to determine your status but household employees are pretty defined and since they did not pay you the $ 1700, this is self employment income

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply