Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

tax forms for a working teen?

Asked by: megan 2732 views YA Discussion

Do minors under 18 working fill out a W-4 form (not even sure that’s the right form I am talking about) and if so what do they claim so that the least amount of taxes are taken out of their check? Would they claim 1? Will they end up having to pay taxes at the end of the year?

This is in Connecticut by the way.
this is for my 16 yr old sons, not sure how much they will make but being almost June I doubt they will make over that amount for this year but how can I be sure? I guess I should just have them put 0

Asked: luvmy4boyz

How others found here:

  • w4 for teenager

4 Answers

  1. Judy on Jun 01, 2011 Reply

    Yes you’ll fill out a W-4 for your employer. If you are absolutely sure you’ll make under $ 5800 total from all jobs for the year, you can put exempt, otherwise put single/0 allowances.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. tro on Jun 01, 2011 Reply

    yes, if their employer asks them to complete a W-4 that is correct
    if your dependents will have income they are entitled to earn up to $ 5800 and not be taxed on that income for income tax purposes
    the FICA and state taxes will apply regardless of their age
    they can file their W-4 as exempt

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Bobbie on Jun 01, 2011 Reply

    Yes the W-4 form simple and easy single and -0- ZERO allowances should work out just fine and then help him to correctly complete his own 1040 income tax return for the first time for the 2011 income tax return in the year 2012.
    Have him sign the W-4 form and return it to his employer.
    Use the search at the http://www.irs.gov website for W-4 Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate


    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful 05/24/2011

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Amy on Jun 01, 2011 Reply

    Age does not make a difference.

    As a dependent they will owe federal income tax if their total earnings are above $ 5800. They may owe state taxes, but as far as I can tell from a minute on google, CT has a very high exemption that does apply to dependents.

    They should fill out a W-4 according to its instructions, which probably means 1 allowance. They can choose to claim more allowances and decrease the tax if it seems too high (eg, if it’s calculated like they made this salary all year).

    If they make over $ 5800 they will need to file a tax return. If they make less than that but had taxes withheld, they can file anyway to get a refund.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply