Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

Should my parents claim me on their taxes or should I file my own?

Asked by: Sildenafil plan 380 views YA Discussion

I’m 18, a high school student, I work part time, and I go to my community college part time. My parents argue that they claim me on their taxes and that there is no reason for me to file my own. My Economics teacher disagrees though and after doing my taxes in class, it turns out that I could get some money back. My parents still refuse the idea that I can file my own. Are they right in their thinking? Any help is appreciated!

5 Answers

  1. Andrew G on Jan 27, 2013 Reply

    The benefits your parents would get by listing you as a dependent far outweigh the benefits of you filing your own. Yes, you could get some money back, but if you are only working part time it won’t be that much.

    -1 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  2. Willie J on Jan 27, 2013 Reply

    You need to file a return and not claim an exemption. Your parents are probably entitled to claim you. You still get a standard deduction up to $ 5,950, so if you made less than that you will get back all of your withholding.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Bart on Jan 27, 2013 Reply

    If you made under $ 9750.00 you do not have to file. When you live in your own apartment and pay for your own food and clothes then you can file your own taxes. Or make over $ 9750.00. Your economics teacher is a loony.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. rtfm on Jan 27, 2013 Reply

    Your parents are wrong. Period.

    They CAN claim you, and you can still file your own return. (In fact, if you earned more than $ 5950 for the year, it would be illegal for you not to file.) All you need to do is answer “yes” to the question that asks if you are being claimed as a dependent on anyone else’s return.

    If you earned less than $ 5950, you’ll get back everything that was withheld for federal taxes. This will not affect your parents’ return in any way whatsoever.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Bobbie on Jan 27, 2013 Reply

    YES they should claim you as their QC dependet because you can not claim your own exemption when you are a dependent of another taxpayer for the 2012 tax year.
    When you do have earned income that you did work for during each tax year you might need to fill out and file your own 1040 income tax return for this purpose and time in your life.
    When you are still full time student during any 5 month period of each tax year UNDER the age of 24 NOT MARRIED filing not foling a JOINT income tax return living at home with your parents while away temporally during the tax year while attending school for this purpose then YES you would still be a QC dependent of your parent on your parents 1040 income tax return during the 2013 tax filing season and you will have to check the box that is the page 1 of your 1040 income tax return that will indicate that you are a dependent of another taxpayer during the tax year for this purpose and you will NOT be allowed to claim your own exemption on your own income tax return and the line for the exemption amount will have to be a -0- ZERO at that time during the 2013 tax filing season for this purpose.
    From the IRS instruction about dependent own exemption for this purpose
    Dependent not allowed a personal exemption. If you can claim an exemption for your dependent, the dependent cannot claim his or her own personal exemption on his or her own tax return. This is true even if you do not claim the dependent’s exemption on your return.



    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 01/26/2013

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply