Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Should I file single 0 or single 1?

Asked by: ubinas 4127 views YA Discussion

I’m 20 years old and I make about 21000 a year gross pay. I have a 1 and a half year old child and am engaged to be married. I have been filing single 0 since I’ve been working even after I had my child. My question is should I be filing single 1 instead I also claim head of household and education credits. Thanks!

How others found here:

  • single 0 vs single 1
  • single 1 vs single 0
  • should i file single 0 or single 1

4 Answers

  1. tro on Mar 30, 2012 Reply

    go to http://www.irs.gov and search for the W-4 calculator to help you
    for 2012 your non taxable income for head of household with one child will be $ 16300, leaving $ 4700 taxable
    there will be a child tax credit, your earned income with a child is eligible for EIC and possibly some left over child tax credit as additional child credit

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Great Returns 3x on Mar 30, 2012 Reply

    You’re engaged to be married, a lot may change. It’s helpful to know what your husband earns to determine what deductions/credits are available to you. Then you may determine how to fill out your W-4 for your employer. Good luck.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Bobbie on Mar 30, 2012 Reply

    And you never do know what kind of changes might take place by December 31 2012 for your situation when you and your future husband might be married before the end of the 2012 tax year BUT when you both work and have income you and he will have to be very careful and make sure that you do not both claim MARRIED on your W-4 forms or else just claim married BUT withhold at the single rates for this purpose because you and he would really want to make sure that you di not UNDER WITHHOLD for you income taxes during the tax year.
    Or when you are works at more than 1 job the same thing can happen when you claim the same thing on each separate W-4 form for this purpose.
    Very simple and easy fill in the W-4 correctly and completely and just claim Single and -0- ZERO Allowances and then it they should withhold any amount of $ $ out for the FIT amount as an estimated advance payment of any possible income tax liability that you might have when you correctly complete your 1040 income tax return during the 2012 income tax filing season and you receive your W-2 form from your employer around the middle of January 2012 and if you have a $ $ amount in the Box 2 for FIT you will get a credit for that $ $ amount on your 1040 income tax return and might qualify to get some are all of the withheld amount back as a REFUND amount when you correctly complete your 1040 income tax return print a copy for your records and sign the copy to send to the correct IRS address for processing.
    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 03/29/2012

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. jen777hen on Mar 30, 2012 Reply

    Filing 0 just means more money is taken out of your paycheck. If you are claiming your child on your taxes you should be filing head of household. You would be fine filing 1, but it is up to you on how much you want back. I am a professional tax preparer and some people like to receive the large refund at the end of the year and others do not want to use the government as a bank. Try the W-4 calculator.


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply