Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

7 Answers

Reporting a tax cheater(not declaring rent as income)?

Asked by: samserio 1601 views YA Discussion

I have this guy who doesn’t declare rent as income.(Actually, I’ve lived with him, details in my other questions)
And, I’m wondering if I should report him.
I’ve paid him over two years totaling about $ 16,000, and, considering the other renter, it totals about twice of it.
I’m thinking of reporting to IRS, but, I’ve read a article that IRS is not actually interested in small cheaters, small cases like this.
Can I have your suggestions?
I actually don’t know his details either except for his name. He told me he worked as an insurance agent when I met him, but I don’t know if he does right now.
I once sent him a check, but only once. Others are cash without receipt.
Another is I recorded my conversation with him, in which he said he didn’t write a receipt because he didn’t deal with taxes. Does this count?
Isn’t his refusal to sign a rent receipt also a proof?

How others found here:

  • how does irs know about rental income

7 Answers

  1. Dominick S on Mar 04, 2012 Reply

    Can you prove this? Do you have a notorized lease? And cancelled checks?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Stupid on Mar 04, 2012 Reply

    Did he hurt you?
    Did he do anything to Piss you off?

    Well I can’t reading anything like that out of your question…

    So basically you just want to fuck him over for the hell of it…
    Just ’cause you can?

    Like why?
    Don’t have anything better to do?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. tro on Mar 04, 2012 Reply

    IRS does not follow up on frivolous complaints, if you have information that can be substantiated, they will probably proceed with investigations
    you don’t seem to know a lot about the negligence, if yo actually saw his tax reports and knew for a fact about his lack of reporting you might have something to go on

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Jacqueline on Mar 04, 2012 Reply

    How do you know he does not report his rental income? Do you have your canceled checks?
    IRS has a telephone number for people reporting taxpayers who commit fraud and you may want to start with this source.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Bostonian In MO on Mar 04, 2012 Reply

    How do you know that he’s not reporting the rent as income? Are you preparing his tax returns and doing so fraudulently at his direction? That makes you as guilty as he is. Unless you have EVIDENCE that he’s breaking the law, the IRS won’t act on any complaint. His claim that he does not pay taxes is meaningless and is not EVIDENCE. And in many states, recording a conversation without the consent of BOTH parties is a crime all by itself.

    Pay him by some means that guarantees you a receipt, such as a personal check or money order. He can’t refuse lawful money, and unless you’ve written him a worthless check in the past, that includes your personal check. Otherwise give him a money order and tell him to suck eggs if he does not like it.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Ronald on Mar 04, 2012 Reply

    Ok so your life is so pathetic that you have nothing else to do but to assume stuff. this is the guy who was nice enough to let you live there. wtf. apply your time in this life to more constructive things. read a book! leave others alone .

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  7. Chris B on Mar 05, 2012 Reply

    You’re being vindictive for some reason. How would you know he doesn’t declare it and why would you care? Besides that you have no idea what his housing expenses add up to or what he declares for income tax purposes.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply