Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

My last name was misspelled on my tax return.?

Asked by: covici 969 views YA Discussion

I filed my taxes, and a few weeks later I got a return check from the AZ treasury, only they misspelled my last name. I just got my state return back, and they’ve done the same thing. Is there a number I can call to have them fix it?

5 Answers

  1. Christin K on Apr 01, 2013 Reply

    Don’t bother. Your refund was credited based on your social security number, not the spelling of your name. It’s not a crime to misspell a name, and you can actually spell your name any way you want to without worrying about it. When you deposit the check to your account, just endorse it as the name is spelled on the front, then endorse it AGAIN just beneath that spelling with the correct spelling and your account number where the check is being deposited. There will be no problem, and you won’t have to request a new check with the correct spelling.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. tro on Apr 01, 2013 Reply

    if you filed manually just make sure next year it is correct

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Judy on Apr 02, 2013 Reply

    If they both misspelled your name the same way, sounds like you misspelled in on your tax return when you filed. But if you got both refunds, don’t worry about it, just spell it right on your return next year.

    The IRS only checks the first four letters in your last name, so if the misspelling was after that, it wouldn’t matter to them.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. chatsplas on Apr 02, 2013 Reply

    Based on YOU and what you filed
    IRS doesn’t care a whole lot if the FIRST FOUR letters of last name are right
    Since your return didn’t Reject, means those were right

    Can file change with IRS, but not necessary


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Bobbie on Apr 02, 2013 Reply

    Apparently you have been very lucky to be able to get your REFUND amount with your last name being spelled wrong on the checks during this tax filing season for this purpose.
    And have you thought about checking your copy of your 1040 income tax return just to see how your last name was spelled out on during the 2013 tax filing season for the 2012 tax year.
    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 04/01/2013

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply