Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

My 22 year old brother has lived with me for the year. he doesnt pay bills. can i claim him on my taxes?

Asked by: mgates 224 views YA Discussion

He doesn’t work, just watches my daughter while I work.

3 Answers

  1. Willie J on Jan 30, 2013 Reply

    Yes, based on your info.

    Qualifying Relative
    A qualifying relative is a person related to you or a person who lived with you for the full year. To qualify, the person must be:
    •A relative who lived with you for the entire year:
    •Your father or mother (including step-parents and in-laws)
    •Uncle or aunt
    •Son or daughter (including stepchildren and in-laws)
    •Brother or sister (including stepsiblings, half siblings, and in-laws)
    •Adopted (or placed for adoption)
    •An eligible foster child (placed by an agency or court)
    •A descendant of any of these.
    Of any age
    Not the qualifying child of another taxpayer
    Someone who lived with you all year
    Someone for whom you provided more than 1 / 2 of the person’s support. You can use a multiple support agreement (Form 2120) for this qualification.
    Someone who earned less than $ 3,800
    A U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or a resident of the United States, Canada, or Mexico. There are exceptions for a nonresident alien child who’s legally adopted if the child either:
    •Lived with you in the United States
    •Lived with you for the whole year if you didn’t live in the United States
    Not filing a joint return unless it was filed only to receive a refund

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. tro on Jan 30, 2013 Reply

    sounds like it
    entire year residency, no income, you provide more than 50% of his support and he likely cannot be claimed by anyone else

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Sariah on Jan 30, 2013 Reply

    yes as long as he is 25 and under

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply