Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

journal entry to record vehicle expense using standard mileage?

Asked by: livingeditor 1656 views YA Discussion

Ok, I have journalized the disbursements off the bank statements and have a dollar amount for vehcile expenses. However, I will be using the standard mileage rate, which will be a higher deduction. What would the journal entry be to record this difference between actual and standard? If I debit vehicle expense for this difference, what do i credit???? This is for a sole proprietorship.

2 Answers

  1. Bash Limpbutt's Oozing Cyst© on Jul 19, 2012 Reply

    You don’t do anything. Your books will always reflect the actual costs. You have a choice of using either actual costs or the standard mileage rate for tax purposes. If you use the mileage rate, your net profit per your books will be different (higher in your case) than the net profit for tax purposes.

    This is pretty common. It’s not unusual to have several sets of books when accounting standards clash with the tax code. This is very common with depreciation in particular.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Tom on Oct 11, 2014 Reply

    All costs are paid by the individual as personal expenses. At year end, the standard mileage rate is used for tax purposes. Now, what is the double entry on the business books? One, the debit, is for auto expense; what’s the credit part of the entry? Thanks, Tom

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply