Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Is there a tax deduction for disabled veterans?

Asked by: ubinas 1311 views YA Discussion

Hello. I just started receiving va disability and compensation this year after tax season. I haven’t filed my taxes this year (found out if i dont get penalized if i get a fefund) for that reason. I am 60 percent disabled and just got retro paid (filed 2011) (approved june 2012).

Basically My refund was calculated at 48.00 dollars (estimated before service-connected disability approved). And now that I am now receiving payments, i’d like to know if there is a spot on the 1040ez to find out if i am entitled to more refund.

4 Answers

  1. Quick Answers on Sep 18, 2012 Reply

    If you received taxable income that is now non-taxable, you’d use form 1040X to request a refund–that is if you were paying taxes.

    For 2012, seek professional help. You can’t use 1040EZ

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Judy on Sep 18, 2012 Reply

    You don’t get an extra refund, but the VA disability payments aren’t taxed.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Bobbie on Sep 18, 2012 Reply

    Your VA service connected disability payment amounts are NOT TAXABLE income in the year that you would receive the amounts and will not be TAXABLE income and you will not have the amount reported to you and to the IRS as TAXABLE income after the end of the tax year for this purpose during the 2013 tax filing season.
    So now if this is about your 2011 tax return or any prior year returns for this purpose you may want to seek some face to face professional assistance with all of your information about the prior year tax returns for this purpose and time in your life.
    No nothing on the 1040 EZ and if you do need to correct a prior year income tax return for this purpose that you have already filled out and filed you would have to use the 1040X for this purpose and time in your life Good Luck to you. And thank you for serving our country as you did at that time in your life.
    Use the search box at the http://www.irs.gov website for the Instructions for Form 1040X (12/2011)


    Lines 1 – Through 31—Which Lines To Complete


    Before looking at the instructions for specific lines, the following information may point you in the right direction for completing Form 1040X.
    Payments and refundable credits Lines 10–22
    You are changing amounts on your original return or as previously adjusted by the IRS. Because Form 1040X can be used for so many purposes, it is sometimes difficult to know which part(s) of the form to fill out. Unless instructions elsewhere in this booklet tell you otherwise, follow the rules below.
    Always complete the top of page 1 through Amended return filing status.
    Complete the lines shown in the following chart according to what you are changing.
    Check a box in Part II, if applicable, for the Presidential Election Campaign Fund.
    Complete Part III, Explanation of changes.
    Sign and date the form.
    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 09/18/2012

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. tro on Sep 18, 2012 Reply

    60% disabled means that 60% of your pay is not taxable
    the statement you receive will have considered this before it is issued to you

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply