Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Is money from the Pell Grant Taxable?

Asked by: Jesica Hogan 1012 views YA Discussion

I am 18 and a single mother of a 1 yr old. I am not working but I am attending college. I am able to do so because of the Pell Grant I received through FAFSA. Now that I am 18 I know that is when you file for taxes. But, because I am not working does that mean I don’t file? I do I because the gov. gave me money to go to school? Please Help!
No, were not living with my parents. Me an my son are living with my boyfriend and he is supporting us. But because we are not married, legally that means that i am a single mother…right? so…does that change anything?

2 Answers

  1. tro on Mar 07, 2012 Reply

    if you are using the money for anything other than school expenses, ie, lodging, yes, that portion will be taxable as income to you
    at 18 you are also probably a dependent of your parents, and since they would be claiming you on their tax return, you as a dependent do not claim a dependent(your child)
    if you and the child are living in your parent’s household, they will claim the child

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Judy on Mar 07, 2012 Reply

    Pell grant money spent on eligible education expenses like tuition, fees and books isn’t taxed. If you get more money than your eligible expenses, the extra is taxable income to you.

    Filing taxes has nothing to do with being 18.

    Being a single mother doesn’t change your tax requirements.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply