Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

If I make $17,000 a year and have one dependant roughly how much would I make in tax return?

Asked by: livingeditor 822 views YA Discussion

If I make $ 17,000 a year and have one dependant,over 19 roughly how much would I receive in tax return?
paying the normal state taxes. 6.2 ,1.45% medicare…etc… just need an average ,thanks
1.)25% withheld.
3.) relative
Your right I think I might be asking the wrong question tax refund would be how much then?.. I can’t provide this information to completion because I’m just questioning it, I just want any type of estimate, lets just say under ideal conditions, of 25% withheld and other average numbers.

5 Answers

  1. Wayne Z on Sep 18, 2012 Reply

    There is no meaningful average as there are too many variables.

    1) How much did you have withheld?
    2) How old is the dependent?
    3) What is your relationship to the dependent?
    4) Does the dependent live with you?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. rtfm on Sep 18, 2012 Reply

    Your tax RETURN is the set of papers you file with the IRS.

    What you are asking about is your REFUND, which is the money you get back if you have paid too much in during the year. Since you don’t give us any idea of what you put down on your W-4, what you are having withheld, what your filing status is, and a dozen other details we’d need to know … we have no idea what your refund might be.

    (btw, Social Security is only 4.2 percent these days, not 6.2 percent.)

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Judy on Sep 18, 2012 Reply

    Is the dependent your child who lives with you? Are they a full time student? If either of these is “NO” then if you get something back it would just be what you had withheld over what you owe.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. tro on Sep 18, 2012 Reply

    first of all, this dependent you say is 19, and apparently not your child, and you list as a relative
    the qualification in this case is that he(she) resides in your household the ENTIRE year, did not earn $ 3800 for 2012, you provide more than 50% of their support and they cannot be claimed on the tax return of anyone else
    so if this person is qualified as a dependent you have $ 7600 for personal exemptions, $ 5950 for standard deduction which means $ 13550 is not taxable, leaving $ 3450 taxable
    this could be income tax of maybe $ 348 so any refund will depend on how much you had withheld from your paychecks

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Bobbie on Sep 18, 2012 Reply

    Here you go you can try and do your own estimated tax calculations at this time in your life for this purpose since you are the only one that would know all of the needed necessary information at this time.
    http://www.irs.gov website and use the search box for 2012 Form 1040-ES (OTC)
    Estimated Tax for Individuals


    Copy and paste the below enclosed website address into your browser address bar for this purpose.


    Enter your filing status, income, deductions and credits and we will estimate your total taxes for 2012. Based on your projected withholdings for the year, we can also estimate your tax refund or amount you may owe the IRS next April 2013.
    In 2011, Federal income tax rates were scheduled to increase to pre-2001 levels, but the “Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010″ left the existing tax brackets in place through 2012.
    You probably can find an estimated tax calculator for your state income taxes by going to your state income tax department website and use the search box for estimated tax calculator at that time in your life.
    I would hope that you do find the above enclosed information useful for your situation and good luck to you with this matter. 09/17/2012

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply