Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

I am living on child and spousal support. can I get a tax return?

Asked by: proffr 620 views YA Discussion

My sole income is child and spousal support. I have the kids 90% of the time make my mortgage payments and pay all bills. How do I file for tax return ?
Thanks guys. FYI, I was forced to file for divorce due to abuse and I feared for my life. Either way I was kept on away from how all this works so I am now trying to learn on my own. I am a nursing student and this is only temporary till I finish school and get into the working force. I can’t wait!
To Judy and Bostonian In MO,
Thank you for the information. That makes total sense. I understand this now. This is more clear than how irs.org explains it. Thank you again. Have a nice day!

4 Answers

  1. Ryan M on Jan 24, 2013 Reply

    Actually you might end up owing some taxes since spousal support is fully taxable to you and I doubt that you have been paying taxes on it. Do you have ANY idea what a tax return is?

    DO NOT try and figure this out on your own. Your tax return is actually going to be somewhat complex with your kids, spousal support and mortgage. Have a professional do them for now nd ask them TONS of questions about every number on your tax return. You REALLY need to have something set up to take care of the taxes owed on your spousal support. That bite can be nasty, if not planned.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Pascal the Gambler on Jan 24, 2013 Reply

    Child support is not taxable income, alimony is. If your spousal support is taxable, and you haven’t had taxes withheld, you would OWE tax. You get no refundable credits, since you had no earned income.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Judy on Jan 24, 2013 Reply

    You need to file, and show the spousal support as taxable income. But unless it’s over $ 23,900 for the spousal support, you aren’t likely to owe anything, but you won’t get any refund either, unless you paid for some of your school out of pocket and not with grants or scholarships, then you might qualify for an education credit.

    Child support doesn’t count as income and you don’t show it on your tax return.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Bostonian In MO on Jan 24, 2013 Reply

    You don’t “get” a tax return, you FILE a tax return. A tax return is what you send to the IRS. If you get any money back, that’s called a REFUND.

    Spousal support is taxable income and you must report it on your tax return. Assuming that you can file as Head of Household you must file if your spousal support was more than $ 12,500. Assuming that your spousal support is less than about $ 48,000 and all 3 kids were under age 17 as of Dec 31, 2012, you won’t owe any tax on the spousal support because of the Child Tax Credit.

    Spousal support is not earned income for purposes of the EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit so you won’t get any refunds.

    Child support is not taxable and you don’t report it on your return regardless of the amount.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply