Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

How long will it take to get my refund since I have education expenses on my return?

Asked by: bellmont 628 views YA Discussion

I just went to go file on turbotax and I get all the way to the end and it says the IRS is not accepting returns with education credits on them. If I file today with it on there, I won’t get my refund til March. I can’t wait until then.
Should I go ahead and file with this credit on there? Or should I take it off and wait til they are accepting them and then amend my taxes and get that extra $ 1000 I was going to get?
Every year I file, I get my taxes in 1 week or less, and I can’t wait a month.
Any suggestions or know anyone who filed and is getting their return sooner than March?
Ok, now I looked it up on the IRS.gov website and it said that if you had education expenses, you were free to file on the 30th of January. I am so confused. Maybe turbotax isn’t updated or something. It specifically said on the IRS website that if you have education expenses, you can file on January 30th. Anyone else know FOR SURE if this is what the deal is?

4 Answers

  1. djcruz49247 on Feb 03, 2013 Reply

    File without and amend later

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Lavett Melody on Feb 03, 2013 Reply

    I am in the same situation. I filed my taxes early and I didn’t find out about the the delay until 2 days before the IRS was scheduled to begin processing refunds. You should go ahead and file without the education credits and after you receive your refund file an amendment therefore you don’t have to wait any longer.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Quick Answers on Feb 03, 2013 Reply

    No, no, no.

    Do NOT file without and then amend. The IRS doesn’t have the resources to amend 3 million tax returns. This could drag out into next year.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Prinsass on Feb 03, 2013 Reply

    I can tell you what my experience was. I filed last year without the education credit. I then did the amended return in April, after the regular tax season ended. I didn’t receive my additional refund until August. If you can, try to wait because I personally find waiting a couple weeks preferable to waiting four months. If the IRS begins accepting and processing returns with the education credits in mid-February, then you could conceivably have your money a week after it’s accepted, so still in this calendar month.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply