How long for an amended tax return “refund”?
Asked by: rdhouse
Ok here is what happened. (And yes I have searched th e’net for answers and got several different ones.)
I filed my taxes on Jan 24 2013. It got accepted on 30 Jan with no problems. On 2 Feb I got a 1099-R which was from a retirement fund I “cleaned out” when I quit a job. Long story short, I am owed an additional refund and had to file the amended form (1040X). I sent it Priority Mail on a Monday and they had it the next day. Now the question is twofold:
1. How long will it take for someone at the IRS to actually open it and start on it and
2. How long should I expect for it to take to get back to me.
It seems that there should be an entire department to handle this. I am hoping that since I caught it early enough that the “powers that be” will have it processed a little more quickly. Is this true OR do they go at their own pace. Wouldn’t it being sent priority mail get the attention of someone? Again I am just curious about this…
How others found here:
- how long does my 2013 amended return take
- how long does it take to get a 2013 amended refund?
- how long do amended returns take 2013