Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

How do I get the IRS to fax a copy of my tax return transcript?

Asked by: megan 2730 views YA Discussion

Although I completed my FAFSA in June, nearly two months early, I’m only now finding out that the college didn’t receive it. They have now asked for a mountain of paperwork, including my parents’ 2011 tax return transcript. They gave me a paper explaining how to request the transcript online and by (1-800-908-9946). I ordered a copy yesterday online, but I later talked to a friend who said she was able to get her copy faxed to her by calling the phone number. I called the number above and it’s an automated system, and no matter what I do I cannot reach a representative. So I’ve looked online and found another number (1-800-829-1040) but still no luck. I’m aware that I have to be in the physical location of the fax machine, and I have all the information I need. I’m just lost as to how I get a live person on the line. I’m also curious as to whether or not the fact that I requested the transcript online will interfere with having it faxed to me. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 Answers

  1. Charles Xavier on Aug 02, 2012 Reply

    you need to call an actual office in your area. and even then, they will not do it. you must go there and get it yourself. be prepared to stand in line!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Steve B on Aug 02, 2012 Reply

    The only way to get the transcript faxed is through a human being at 800-829-1040, but be prepared to wait and to be transferred several times. If there is an IRS office near you, take a Form 4506-T signed by both your parents to the office for a transcript. You will not be able to call that local office; they do not have a published phone number. Check irs.gov for the nearest office.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Quick Answers on Aug 02, 2012 Reply

    1. *you* can’t request your parents’ tax return. They can, but you can’t. Legally, you can’t even request using either the FAFSA retrieval program or the IRS transcript ordering system.

    #2. Your MOTHER or FATHER can call. The ONLY legitimate number for calling and getting human being is 1-800-829-1040. If they do not pick a menu option, it should eventually go to an operator (on the computer theory that you are calling from a dial phone). Ask for accounts and be prepared to wait on hold for an hour.

    #3. No, a human being getting the fax for you will not interfere with the already ordered copy.

    Lastly, Mom or Dad (but again, NOT you) can go in person to an IRS walkin office. And no, you can’t take it in for them. You don’t have POA and a permission slip isn’t going to cut it.

    Note, either mom or dad can call–or sign the 4506-T. Since both signed the return, EITHER one fo them can get a copy.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Where has Common Sense gone? on Aug 02, 2012 Reply

    You don’t. Doesn’t anyone keep copies of their tax forms anymore?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply