Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

7 Answers

How can I find out online if I filed my taxes last year?

Asked by: ubinas 2430 views YA Discussion

I might have skipped out because I was in school full time and did not work a lot of hours, but I don’t remember if I did or if I got a refund. Is it possible to get a refund from a prior year if you didn’t file?
oh ok can i just post my social security number here

7 Answers

  1. tro on Jun 10, 2012 Reply

    you probably can’t
    to ask Where’s my refund you need the information that would have been on your tax return and since you don’t know that, there is no way to trace it
    you can request free transcripts of the years you are in doubt with form 4506 T, but the 2011 is not available until June 15
    I am not confusing anything, I am relaying the information supplied with weekly notices I get from IRS via email that 2011 transcripts are not available until June 15 and I have had no updates indicating that any change has been made to this date
    refunds for years 2008 and prior are lost forever, if you have one due you for 2009 if you don’t get it filed by 4/15/13, it also will be lost forever

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. A nobody on Jun 10, 2012 Reply

    Go to the Internal Revenue’s website, using your social security number you can check your filings

    Yes you can get a refund from prior years, you may will have to file a tax return for that year

    Go to the website and get all the information first hand

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Quick Answers on Jun 10, 2012 Reply

    Yet again, tro is passing out misinformation. (2011 transcripts are available if your 2011 return has posted already. A few balance due returns from 4/17 have not posted, but millions of other people’s returns have already posted.) Tro is confusing the deadline for Verification of Non-Filing letters with everything else offered on the 4506-T.

    To find if you filed for 2010 or not, request an account transcript using 4506-T, call or visit a walk in office.

    As for using the online method, the “transcript” option requires that you supply your name and exact address for the 2010 filing. If you didn’t file or don’t enter the exact information, you won’t know the difference when it says it can’t give it to you.

    A refund (if any) on a 2010 tax return can be claimed until 4/15/2014.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Max Hoopla on Jun 10, 2012 Reply

    You can’t. If you gave me or another representative permission, we could.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Bobbie on Jun 10, 2012 Reply

    YES when and IF you would have qualified for a REFUND for that tax year and you failed to fill out and file that tax year income tax return YES it is possible for you to be able to correctly fill out and file the past year 1040 income tax return and receive the REFUND amount that qualify for the 2009 tax year you would have until the middle of April 2013 to do this after that 3 year time limit for the 2009 tax year 1040 any possible REFUND amount will no longer be available to you to claim because the amount is gone lost for this purpose.
    Go to the http://www.irs.gov website and use the search box for Order a Transcript
    Order a free transcript of your tax return
    You can now order your tax return or account transcript online. Your transcript will be mailed to you within 5 to 10 business days


    Note: We cannot process your request online if you need transcripts mailed to an address other than the one we have on file for you. To send your transcript to a different address, complete and send Form 4506-T.
    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 06/09/2012

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Judy on Jun 10, 2012 Reply

    You can’t find out online. Call the IRS and ask, or request a transcript and see if they have one to send you.

    No you can’t get a refund if you don’t file, but if you have a refund coming from tax year 2009 or later, you can file late without penalty, and still get it.

    And NO, DON’T POST YOUR SS#!!!!!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  7. StephenWeinstein on Jun 10, 2012 Reply

    You can’t find out online. The IRS strictly prohibits its staff from putting that sort of info online. To find out online, you would need to hack into their computers and go to prison for a long time.

    To find out, you have to use the telephone, a fax machine, or the U.S. mail.

    You can get a refund from a prior year, but only if you do it only by U.S. mail and not online.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply