Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Forgot a w2 but i already file my taxes.. they were accepted..?

Asked by: mgates 1095 views YA Discussion

I filed my taxes and they were accepted. Today i received another w-2 ( from same job just they had a name change in January of last year) the wages is about $ 300 and tax withheld is $ 12. I used turbotax so im trying to amend my return but the website isn’t working. I would like to know if it is worth it to amend my return? It is the same company im guessing the IRS already corrected the problem since it was already accepted, but im still not sure.. i dont want to get a huge bill in the mail months or years later… so what to do????? >>>> and please only serious answers…


3 Answers

  1. Wayne Z on Jan 30, 2013 Reply

    The IRS will not have “corrected the problem” as they won’t have the W2s in their system until this summer.

    Wait until you get your initial refund and then amend.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Bostonian In MO on Jan 30, 2013 Reply

    Wait until you get your refund. Sit on it until you prepare an amended return using Form 1040-X as you may have to pay back some of the refund with the amended return. If you owe with the 1040-X, there are no penalties as long as you file and pay by April 15, 2013.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. lovagyrl03 on Jan 31, 2013 Reply

    Just wait until you receive your tax refund then do an amendment. Depending on your income level and exemptions, you MAY qualify for a refund. I did an amended return once (for an add’l $ 400) and I received a 2nd refund (after amendment) for $ 650. All because of my exemptions. So definitely file it. Even IF you were to owe, it wouldn’t be by much.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply