Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

6 Answers

Do I have to pay taxes?

Asked by: megan 936 views YA Discussion

So I’m 19 years old and i worked for the first time in july 5 weeks at UPS for $ 600 and they took out the taxes from it. My dad still lists me as a dependent. Do I have to do that whole taxation thingy in april or what. I’m afraid one day they’ll say I have unpaid taxes like they do with some people. But then again I don’t understand this whole procedure.

6 Answers

  1. Shane Marx on Jan 07, 2013 Reply

    if you’re living with your dad, i think the only thing that would happen is that your paycheck would be taxed, but im really not for sure.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Rob on Jan 07, 2013 Reply

    if u earned 600 = no.

    visit library for books on taxes – free.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Bobbie on Jan 07, 2013 Reply

    Go to the http://www.irs.gov website and use the search box for 1040EZ and then choose the instruction


    Introduction About These Instructions


    We have designed the instructions to make it as simple and clear as possible to file your tax return. We did this by arranging the instructions for Form 1040EZ preparation in the most helpful order.
    •“Section 2—Filing Requirements” helps you decide if you even have to file.
    •“Section 3—Line Instructions for Form 1040EZ” follows the main sections of the form, starting with “Top of the Form” and ending with “Signing Your Return.” Cut-outs from the form connect the instructions visually to the form.
    •“Section 4—After You Have Finished” gives you a checklist for completing a return. It also gives you information about filing the return.
    •“Section 6—Getting Tax Help” has topics such as how to get tax help, forms, instructions, and publications. It also gives you other useful information, such as how to check the status of a refund.
    Helpful Hints
    1040EZ – Main Contents


    Section 3—Line Instructions for Form 1040EZ


    W-2 forms from your employers during the 2013 tax filing season look at it closely and find the Box 2 FIT $ amount if it should happen have some amount in the Box 2 for this purpose then you would want to fill out and file a 1040 income tax return during the 2013 tax filing season using the Box 2 amount as TAX CREDIT and REFUND that you should be able to qualify for when you do correctly completed your 1040 income tax return during the 2013 tax filing season for this purpose and time in your life.
    Be sure and check the box on the page 1 of the 1040 income tax return to indicate that you are a dependent of another taxpayer for the tax year and that you do NOT claim your own exemption and the amount on that line at that time is -0- ZERO
    Sign the completed 1040 income tax return and make a copy for your records and then send the other signed copy on to the IRS for processing at that time in your life.
    Check out your state website around the end of January to see if you can find some free face to face assistance with your 2012 income tax return during the 2013 tax filing season for this purpose VITA/TCE or the AARP Tax-Aide program might have some local volunteer sites in your area for this purpose and time in your life.
    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 01/06/2013

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. tro on Jan 07, 2013 Reply

    at 19 unless you attended full time school 5 months of the year, you are no longer a dependent
    and if you made $ 600 the income tax that was withheld from your paychecks can be a refund to you iv you file a tax return to claim it
    the $ 600 is not taxable income to you for the year

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Just an Iowan on Jan 07, 2013 Reply

    “It depends” upon whether you have to or want to do that thingy. It’s not clear if you made a total of $ 600 or $ 3,000. Either way, by all means let your dad claim you as a dependent because it won’t make a penny difference to you. I assume you live at home and dad has provided over half your support. At $ 600 that’s obvious. whether 600 or 3,000 you will owe no income tax without claiming yourself, but they may have withheld federal and state income tax from you, and filing a return will get that money back for you. Medicare and Social Security is not refundable, just FITWH and SITWH, Be sure to NOT mark box 6a, in other words do not claim yourself as a dependant so dad can claim you. If you claim yourself as an exemption dad will be notified you “were claimed on another’s return”. Dad will be so mad. I have made a lot of assumptions, ie; unmarried, no childern of your own, living with dad, etc. Have Dad take your W-2 with him when he gets his return done, or he can do both yours and his. so yes, do this thingy.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. ninasgramma on Jan 07, 2013 Reply

    If your UPS job was your only income, and you made less than $ 3,800, your parent will claim you. If you made less than $ 5,850, you are not required to file a tax return. From your information, it seems you are a dependent and you do not have to file a tax return.

    You will receive a Form W-2 from your employer in a week or two. If Box 2 of Form W-2 has any amount of money in it, you can get that refunded to you by filing Form 1040EZ. You can print this form out and mail it in, or you can file online. Just make sure you indicate that you cannot claim yourself.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply