Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Do I have to file a Schedule C or can I put this under other income or hobby income?

Asked by: sfbs 419 views YA Discussion

I earned $ 993 working on Amazon Mechanical Turk in my spare time. I didn’t earn enough from any one requester to get a 1099. The way AMT works is that different people post jobs for you to do and you get paid through AMT, but your tax info goes to the individuals and if you made less than $ 400 from them they don’t send you a 1099.

Now, I had people on another forum telling me to file a Schedule C for this, but on the instructions for the Schedule C it says, “”a sporadic activity or a hobby does not qualify as a business.” Well, that definitely was what I was doing on AMT. I just did jobs every now and then for fun and to earn Amazon gift cards with which I bought holiday presents mostly. It would be a lot easier if I didn’t have to file a Schedule C because to do so I either have to pay filing fees or file a paper form.

1 Answers

  1. Debbie on Jan 23, 2013 Reply

    If you file a c, you will also need to file a SE and pay social security and Medicare on it. If its a hobby, report it as such. Just note, when duo enough for a 1099, you will be required to do a c and se, so plan accordingly and don’t get hit with penalties for not estimating and sending in your taxes quarterly.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply