Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Centrelink benefits for part time worker?

Asked by: livingeditor 552 views YA Discussion

Hi all. I am 21 years of old. Currently unemployed but starting part time work (23 hours a week) in the next couple of weeks. This is my first pregnancy and unfortunately I’m doing it on my own. I’m just wondering what entitlements I am eligible for and whether I can apply for a health care card etc because I cannot afford to pay $ 70 every time I need to see my doctor. I live in a small town with my parents still. Any insight would be great!!! Many thanks!

1 Answers

  1. Rachael on Aug 30, 2012 Reply

    My understanding of how the system works is that until you have a child in your care you are only entitled to unemployment benefits. If you are working part-time you may only be entitled to a part payment of Newstart Allowance. The best place to look would be the centrelink website which has currently been changed over to the Dept of Human Services and incorporates Centrelink, Family Assitance, Medicare etc etc

    Here is the link to the estimator

    Generally if you are entitled to even a part payment of Newstart you will qualify for a Heath Care Card.

    When you have your baby you will be moved over to Parenting Payment and also be entitled to Family Tax Benefit.

    Best of luck to you.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply