Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Can you completely redo your taxes from a previous year?

Asked by: Jesica Hogan 1720 views YA Discussion

My boyfriend and I went to a family friend since he is a retired tax agent. Well, my boyfriend went to go get a credit card and because he is a contract driver, the bank asked to see his 2010 tax returns. It turns out, this friend of ours completely lied throughout the taxes to save my boyfriend money. The bank declined to give him a credit card because of the discrepincies, and now we don’t know what to do. We have already submitted them to the IRS. Can we ask to redo the taxes from 2010?

How others found here:

  • can you redo your taxes

4 Answers

  1. Mom on Aug 19, 2011 Reply

    Yes he can submit an amended tax return

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. chatsplas on Aug 19, 2011 Reply

    You file an amended return, starting with return filed, complete a 1040X
    A taxpayer is ALWAYS responsible for their own tax return, and must sign it, regardless whether they prepare it or have some one else
    Tax services like Jackson Hewitt or Block can do it

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. tro on Aug 19, 2011 Reply

    in the first place you and your b/f cannot file together, you are not married
    he would file his return and you would file yours, entirely separately(if you had no income you would not need to file at all)
    the 1040 X is the form to use to change anything that was incorrect in a previous submission, you cannot resubmit an entire new 1040
    if the bank found on first sight discrepancies, the amounts reported must be hugely wrong
    you probably need to get a good professional preparer to help you clear up this mess

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Judy on Aug 19, 2011 Reply

    It’s called amending, and yes you can.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply