Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

6 Answers

Can my boyfriend claim me on his taxes?

Asked by: jmlcpl 1240 views YA Discussion

We have been living together for a year and have a son together, i havent worked at all this year and he pays all of our bills. But i get food stamps each month will that interfere? And by the way i am 20 and we live in virginia

6 Answers

  1. Kevin Bhatt on Oct 05, 2012 Reply

    Yes I’m pretty sure he can. Might want to check with an accountant you know just to make sure.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Quick Answers on Oct 05, 2012 Reply

    When you got your foodstamps, you did mention on the paperwork that you live with him and he supports you, right? if you didn’t, call the state and fess up.

    As for living in sin in Virginia, yes, the state has a law against it and that law prevents him from claiming you as a dependent. He can still claim his son.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Bobbie on Oct 05, 2012 Reply

    And of course when you fill out the application for the food stamps you do enter the correct information about th total household income that each person living in the home does receive each month truthfully as you are required to do when you do sign the form for this purpose and time in your life RIGHT.
    This MIGHT be possible BUT each one you will have to meet all of the rules that have to be met for him to qualify to claim any one on his correctly completed 1040 income tax return that he will have to sign during the 2013 tax filing season for this purpose.
    Use the search box at the http://www.irs.gov website for the Publication 501
    Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information


    Exemptions for Dependents


    Only when each one of you meets ALL of the rules that each one has to meet for you to be able to qualify to claim the other taxpayer as your qualified dependent on your income tax return and you are the one that has to accept the consequences of your decision when you make it and you correctly complete and sign you income tax return as you are required to do for this purpose.
    And you do have to sign the completed tax return where the below statement is included at bottom of the page of the 1040 tax form for your use at this time in your life.
    Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this return, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, it is true, correct, and accurately lists all amounts and sources of income I received during the tax year.
    Your signature Date Your occupation
    Be sure that you do have very good detailed written records and a copy of the worksheet that you used to determine the amount of support that you and others paid for this purpose available in case the IRS should decide that they would want you to verify some of the information that you entered on your 1040 income tax return and printed a copy for your records and signed the other copy to send to the IRS for processing at that time in your life.
    Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 10/04/2012

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. tro on Oct 05, 2012 Reply

    you say ‘you get food stamps’ apparently you are not reporting the household income to the agency tht distributes the food stamps
    maybe his income is so low you still qualify
    not sure but seems that this question was posted before about the food stamps and the b/f making to much to qualify for food stamps
    but back to your question a qualified relative(altho not r’qrd to be related) is one who resides in the household of the taxpayer the ENTIRE year, did not earn $ 3800, the taxpayer provides more than 50% of their support and they cannot be claimed on the tax return of anyone else
    if the child is his he does claim head of household with the child and you are merely another dependent

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Cathi K on Oct 05, 2012 Reply

    Did you report his income when applying for food stamps? If not, you realize it is benefits fraud? Hard to visit your kid from jail.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. the kid on Oct 05, 2012 Reply

    If you live with him all year, and you make under $ 3800, then yes.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply