Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

Can I still file my taxes if my parent claimed me as a dependent?

Asked by: samserio 2695 views YA Discussion

This is my first time filing my taxes. I am nineteen and a full-time student so my father claimed me as a dependent. I filed a 1040EZ with TaxAct and there was a question that asked if someone else claimed me as a dependent and I clicked the yes box; however, they still gave me a federal and state refund (both under $ 200). I just wanted to know if I did this right and will still be able to expect my refund. Knowledgable answers only please and thank you.

How others found here:

  • if i am a dependent can i still claim standard deduction?

5 Answers

  1. tro on Mar 22, 2012 Reply

    of course, you merely do not claim your personal exemption of $ 3700
    your standard deduction of $ 5800 is non taxable, on the excess of that amount

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Rob on Mar 22, 2012 Reply

    if u earned an income u must file taxes.
    if u claimed as dependent , file your taxes.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. *Paige* on Mar 23, 2012 Reply

    You are required by law to file your taxes whether someone claims you or not. If you filled out your 1040EZ correctly, there is no reason you should not get tax refund. If there is any discrepency in your filing, the IRS will let you know and you will need to ammend it.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Great Returns 3x on Mar 23, 2012 Reply

    You did it correctly. Your father claims you as a dependent, so you answered the question correctly, that someone else claims you as a dependent (your father). Good job and good luck.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. kelby7670 on Mar 23, 2012 Reply

    You have to read more carefully. The question is “Can someone claim you…” not “Did someone claim you…” It doesn’t matter if they actually claimed you.
    You lose your exemption and most credits but you still get a refund of your withholding.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply