Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Can I get my Tax Return back after it has been Garnished?

Asked by: sfbs 708 views YA Discussion

I received a letter in the mail that both my state and federal refunds were garnished because of a student loan. I was not aware of this and had no way of appealing the garnishment. I am currently jobless, with no money….I was counting on my refund money to start a business. Is there a way I could get my money back from the debt collecter and make payment plans outside of the return?

2 Answers

  1. Bostonian In MO on Feb 12, 2013 Reply

    That will be up to Sallie Mae, aka FedLoan. Start your research on their website http://www.myfedloan.org/

    If offsetting your tax refund would cause an undue hardship, Sallie May may temporarily stop collection actions and even refund the tax offset to you.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Beverly S on Feb 12, 2013 Reply

    No, your student loans were guaranteed by the Government & they want their money. Not government backed student loans are never offset by the IRS.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply