Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

8 Answers

can i file taxes without my w2 or last pay stub?

Asked by: posadas 1291 views YA Discussion

i moved since i worked at two jobs last year and mail forwarding takes about a month. ive called both companies i worked for and both w2s have already been mailed. is there anyway i can file now and avoid waiting for my w2s? neither company will assist in getting me a copy of it. both have said i just need to wait. if i do need my w2 to file is there any way that the irs can send me copies?? please help!
Just to let everyone know I do know that I need that specific informaion but I was told I could file with just an ein number. That is why I posted this question. As far as Pat’s comment about my life, you know nothing. I have a son that I take care of on my own. These employers do have my current address but like I said they have already mailed them before I moved which was 2 weeks ago and won’t sent a new copy!!! How about you grow up and use this site to be productive instead of rude!

8 Answers

  1. falsi fiable on Feb 04, 2013 Reply

    No, the IRS does not send taxpayers their W-2 forms.

    How do you plan to report all your income to the IRS without your W-2s or final paycheck? Do you know how much you earned from each employer, how much was withheld for federal income taxes, how much was withheld for state taxes, how much was withheld for Social Security and Medicare, and your employer’s EIN? If you are missing any of those, your return won’t be accepted.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Pat on Feb 04, 2013 Reply

    Exactly how in the hell do you think you’re going to get the NUMBERS for the 1040?
    Are you going to make them up?

    And the Post office does not forward W2s.
    They will return them to the employers.


    grow the hell up and learn to take care of your own damn life.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Misty on Feb 04, 2013 Reply

    Well there is no need for people to talk down to others. You need your employee’s number to file taxes. You must have all the correct information from the W-2 or you could find your tax return delayed or rejected. If you are having trouble call the IRS. And you can get substitute w-2’s with their help.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Reggie on Feb 04, 2013 Reply

    W-2’s , and the post office does forward w-2’s as long as you have the updated address

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Sparkle Evony on Feb 04, 2013 Reply

    Yes you can file your taxes but you wont know what numbers to put in the boxes so you would have to put 0. You would then have to owe money to the government cause they would think you didnt pay anything. It would be best to wait or call your past employers and see if they can tell you the info over the phone. then you can file online for free.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  6. Go AZ on Feb 04, 2013 Reply

    You may file with a substitute W-2 on form 4852 “Substitute for W-2, Wage and Tax Statement.

    “Contact the IRS If you do not receive your W-2 by February 14th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your name, address, city and state, including zip code, Social Security number, phone number and have the following information:

    Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number
    Dates of employment
    An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2012. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible. ”


    You cannot file until after Feb 14th.

    @The USPS will forward W-2s with a proper forwarding address.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  7. maggoteer on Feb 04, 2013 Reply

    Eventually you can get a copy of your tax transcript from the IRS. It would include all necessary federal information from all your W2s. It’s called a form 4506. Had you not moved, you could have done this online – but online only lets you receive a transcript at whatever (old) address the IRS has on file for you.


    If you really really REALLY want to start filing now , you can file with what you have. Then when you get your missing records you could file an amendment (form 1040x). But doing all this could slow down IRS processing your originally submitted 1040, and delay you getting your refund.

    Note that I’m assuming that the whole reason you want to file NOW is you are expecting a refund and would like to get it fast. Probably wisest thing is to either wait – or do no more than request a copy of your 2012 tax transcript. (Again, not sure if the TY2012 transcript is available yet – no harm finding out from the IRS though!)

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  8. Judy on Feb 04, 2013 Reply

    The IRS can send you copies, but not until months from now. Just wait until you get them from your employer. Can you go pick up a copy from them? Did you put in a change of address when you moved? If so they should be forwarded.

    Whoever told you that you could file with just an ein number is clueless.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply