Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Can I claim my 19 year old son on my tax return for 2012?

Asked by: posadas 888 views YA Discussion

He graduated in May 2012 from High School. He did not take any post education courses after High School. He got a job and earned about $ 6,000. He is single and lived with me all year, and I paid over half of his support. What is confusing to me, is the word “Student”. Does he qualify as a student being in High School? Or is that referring to schooling outside of High School? My child was a US citizen. My wife an I file jointly and no one else can claim us as dependents.

How others found here:

  • can i claim my 19 year old on my taxes

3 Answers

  1. Bostonian In MO on Feb 26, 2013 Reply

    Student means student. Secondary or post-secondary both qualify. The student test is that he’s a full-time student for any part of any 5 months in the tax year. Jan – May is 5 months so that should be covered.

    The support test is NOT how much support that you provided — you don’t actually have to provide any — but how much of his own support that he provides. As long as he provides less than half of his OWN support, he’s still a dependent.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. HD on Feb 26, 2013 Reply

    no because he earned more than $ 3,800, he has to file his own return.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. rtfm on Feb 27, 2013 Reply

    Yes, you can claim him. He was a student for at least five months of the year, which is all that the IRS requires.

    Student means high school *or* college.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply