Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

4 Answers

Can I be claimed as a dependent on my parents’ tax return?

Asked by: vdlicata 977 views YA Discussion

I’m 21 yrs. old and and living with my parents. I stopped going to college for more than a year now and have a full time job and I earn approximately $ 16000 annually. I’m paying for my car insurance which is included with my parents’. They asked me to pay them $ 200/month while I’m living with them (and that includes the insurance money.

My question is, will I still be claimed as a dependent on my parents’ tax return for 2012? When I filed my tax return for 2011, I was claimed as dependent on theirs and on that time I was still a full-time student and working part-time. I read some stuff on the internet about being full-time student for your parents to still claim you on their tax return. I am so confused, please help. Thanks a lot!

4 Answers

  1. trix on Feb 20, 2013 Reply

    Your parents cant clam you if you file taxes your self..if that’s what you are asking…if you need more info call the 1-800 number to irs they will let you know.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Pat on Feb 20, 2013 Reply

    your parents can not claim you as a dependent.
    Children between 18-24 must be in school to be claimed.
    And you make too much money anyway.

    Go to the IRS website

    Read each line.
    Fill in the blanks.

    If you are paying on school loans, you can deduct the interest from your income and end up paying less taxes, or getting a bigger refund.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Bostonian In MO on Feb 20, 2013 Reply

    No, since you are no longer a student you cannot be claimed as a dependent as your income is well above the $ 3,800 threshold under the Qualifying Relative rule.

    Under the Qualifying Child rule you are a dependent if you are under age 19 or under age 24 as a full time student for part of any 5 months in the year, lived in your parents home for more than half of the year, and didn’t provide more than half of your OWN support. There is no income test under the Qualifying Child rule.

    Under the Qualifying Relative rule you can be any age but your gross income excluding only non-taxable Social Security must be less than the personal exemption amount which is $ 3,800 for 2012. There are other tests as well, but since you’ve busted this one there’s no need to go into further detail.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Ms. Angel.. on Feb 20, 2013 Reply

    Your parents can’t claim you as a dependent, if they do their tax return will be rejected if e-filiing, and will have to mail the return in to IRS
    If mailed and claim you they will receive a letter from IRS with additonal information needed to process their return

    good luck

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply