Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Can department of education take my federal returns?

Asked by: Long 607 views YA Discussion

How others found here:

  • can the US department of Education take all tax refunds
  • us dept of education took my federal return
  • how do younstop the dept of education frim taking my tax return

3 Answers

  1. Traci on Feb 19, 2013 Reply

    Yep..they took my entire $ 9500 return on Friday. Luckily we filed married joint and don’t live in a community property state so my husband filed injured spouse and were told we should get most if not all back because I paid no taxes this year and only made $ 2900. You can look up the IRS fmr number to see if they are going to offset your refund because if they can they will and they can take all of it if you owe more than your getting.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Nicole on Feb 19, 2013 Reply

    Yes, definitely! Of u owe, they will take it.

    My husband says, before you file, call them and tell them you were unemployed most of last year. They should send you a letter via email, fax, or mail excluding you from getting your return intercepted. Sign it and send it back, then file taxes. My hubby owed Student loans, but did ^ , but is receiving his entire refund. Hope this helps!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Amber on Feb 19, 2013 Reply

    yes! if u owe any type of educational loans, child support etc they will take whatever u owe..happened to a friend of mine. they took her whole refund. (owed taxes for 2010) call the offset hotline (automated system) to find out. when u call its going to say dept of treasury can’t remember the number since ive called several hotlines regarding my refund. hope this helps!

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply