Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Can CNA Classes be Tax Deductable?

Asked by: minchk 785 views YA Discussion

I’m 26 years old, and I’ve attended CNA classes through Red Cross (obviously not a college) the classes were 700. So can I write this off on my taxes? thanks.

3 Answers

  1. tro on Mar 18, 2013 Reply

    probably not
    unless you itemize on sch A no
    otherwise if you were able to itemize the cost of education toward an occupation you do not currently work it would NOT be deductible
    you can claim education expenses(Sch A under misc) to IMPROVE your current occupation

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Tax Chopper on Mar 18, 2013 Reply

    The CNA classes and license are deductible. But here how:
    If you receive any education via an official educational institution, you will receive form 1098T where you will use it in your filed tax. The amount you paid, Loan, or Scholarship will play role in making the calculation work. The IRS will give you credit based on the amount, as well as the cost of school materials such as books etc. Then this will reduce your tax’s and you may get extra refund because of that.
    However, if you are just taking classes to renew your license and you are still working with CNA, you can claim the Credit within Schedule A of your 1040 form. In many cases, the amount will not help since the standard deduction amount greater than what you pay.
    There is nothing call write off in your tax. There is something Claiming credit related to your education expenses. You must have form 1098T
    If you have property where you pay alot of interest mortgage and property tax’s to county, auto property tax etc, the CNA educational fees might be added and might help you little bit. Remember, all the above credits must exceed the standard deduction which should match your filing status.
    Good luck

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. ninasgramma on Mar 18, 2013 Reply

    Since your program was not conducted through an educational institution, you cannot get a higher education tax benefit.

    If your program is work-related, meaning you were working as a health aide or nursing assistant before you took the program, your costs are deductible as miscellaneous deductions on Schedule A. You need to itemize (use Schedule A), and your total miscellaneous deductions must exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income to give you any benefit.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Your Reply