2013 tax refund was reduced by the irs….why is that?
Asked by: Long
Ok so when I login to where’s my refund on the IRS website, my refund status is now telling me approved and there is a date for my direct deposit which is awesome. However my expected refund amount on the left side of the screen is now $ 500 less than what was originally on my taxes. What could be the reason for this?
I got my taxes done at an H&R Block office. I am not forgetting about their fees which total about $ 250; the $ 500 difference is prior to the deduction of my tax preparation fees. Also, I do not have any of the following:
· Past due child support (my husband and I only have 2 children with each other; there is no child support due so it can’t be past due.)
· Federal agency non-tax debts (no debts to anyone; never had a business, or received any money from the government other than student loans.)
· Certain unemployment debts owed to the state (neither of us have ever claimed unemployment.)
· Past due federal student loans (husband and I are both currently in graduate school and receiving student loans so the past loans are deferred and current.)
· State income tax obligations (nope, always get a refund and have never owned a business.)
So is there something else it could be…I don’t want to jump the gun and assume that the tax preparer at H&R Block made a mistake or miscalculation so if anyone can think of any other reasons I would like to hear them.
How others found here:
- irs reduced my refund amount
- IRS reduced refund
- why would my federal refund be reduced